21 June 2008

Outsider status on multiple levels.

I have always inhabited a sort of observer position in most spheres through which I have passed. With my family, it is becoming more and more apparent that I feel out of step with my Korean culture, as I was raised by American culture - television, day care, video games. In my elementary school I was not only a minority - I could literally count the number of kids with Asian descent on one hand.
Often, it just sucks. Try as you might to elevate it into the highest form of learning cultural tolerance, but as a being coming to age it is maddeningly difficult. Especially in a society such as we have here in the United States, which is often ill-defined as it is.
Find one's place amongst the multiple blurry groupings? A task to make all else seem laughable. I wish I knew.

No comments: