04 July 2008

Quick link for reading, food-related.

Must run, but here's an interesting article I read from a previous issue of Time magazine on the geography of childhood obesity. From a few weeks ago because I don't subscribe, but I picked up an old issue to flip through at my parents' house today.

It's true that fatty foods, loaded with preservatives and highly processed, become the mealtime staples for poor communities. Take-out places are cheapcheap, and very prominent in low-income areas. Grocery stores may often be further away than your neighborhood fast-food joint. Obesity in the U.S. is a huuuge problem. Literally. And it's escalating. It isn't just an aesthetic thing because there are too many health complications to name.
Anyway, thought I'd share the link - and happy fireworks today!

No comments: